Sunday, December 7, 2014

Trinidad Market Day

Mother in Law is HOT, Cut Up Lime Pepper is moderate with great flavor
Tom accompanied me again to the Saturday market.  We eyed the fish and produce quickly as we worked our way to the far end of the market.  The first order of business was a double for each of us.  We stood in line for my favorite doubles guy and opted for medium peppa.  Tummy's satisfied, we backtracked in search of fruits and veggies, as well as a few other items.  We hit the V & P booth for a large bottle of "Cut Up Lime" a sort of Trinidad version of what stateside we might call chow chow or pickle relish or in Mexico pico de gallo or chutney in India - in other words, a basic side relish.  This one is made of lime, peppers, seasoning and small cut up veggies to flavor.  We have already blown through our small bottle.  
My favorite fishmonger
While I don't come to the market every Saturday (the Jesse James shopping bus leaves the marina areas at 6:30 AM - that is way early for a Saturday my friends!  At least it is for this sailor girl.) I have gone enough times to know my way around the market by now.  I have even started developing my own favorite vendors.  These are vendors that are willing to take a few extra minutes to answer my questions, give me instruction on how to prepare a new fruit or veggie, peel or cut something open in order to let me try it or toss in an extra orange or tomato for free.  My favorite fishmonger is a nice couple on the end of the fish line.  They are friendly and engaging, taking the time to visit as they prep your fish.  They don't make too much fun of me for not wanting the fish head and bones, prized parts of the fish in the Caribbean islands.  * It seems only crazy white girls from America give up the best parts of the fish!  
Near empty "dolly"
The market has narrow aisles between the rows of tables overflowing with produce.  The same is true outside with the vendor ringing the building.  Additional produce is delivered to the interior and exterior vendors on these long two wheeled carts that look like what we would call a "dolly" but stretched out to hold much more.  
Fully loaded
Headed for delivery



We decided to try taking a Maxi Taxi to the market vs the normal Jesse James cruisers shopping bus.  This would allow us to be on our schedule at the market vs the one hour the cruisers shopping bus allows.  the cost is less as well.  *However there advantages to taking the cruisers shopping bus.   Sometime the Maxi Taxi will take you the extra way down to the market vs stopping at the central Maxi station and sometime they won't.  We lucked out, our driver agreed to take us all the way to the market. Getting to the market isn't that big of deal.  It's getting back.  The Maxi's don't run back from the market to Chaguaramas.  For our return trip, we connected with Cheryl (sv Just Imagine) and Sheila (s/v Never Bored) Maxi Taxi pro's.  They lead us down a couple of side streets back towards the Maxi Taxi central station.  I was very happy to have my own personal sherpa named Tom to help me lug our produce.  We piled into the Maxi, holding our loaded backpacks in our laps.  Maxi Taxi's hold 13 people and all seats are taken.  There is no putting your packages on the seat next to you.  After washing, drying, prepping and storing all our produce, a nap was needed!  I told you, the 6:00 AM alarm is early for this cruising girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment