Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Provisioning Bread


We needed bread the other day.  I don't currently bake.  It's too hot and there are way too many excellent bakers on these islands.  We were in Hillsborough, Carriacou at the bus stop waiting for the #10 bus to take us back to Tyrrell Bay.  A young woman sat down next to me on the bench.  She had a loaf of bread.  I asked her "Where did you get that bread?"  She nodded across the street to an empty lot and said "I got it over there."  I looked but I couldn't see anything but an empty lot.  "I'm sorry, again where did you get it?"  She nodded again in the direction of the empty lot but this time slightly right.  I looked and there was a stand alone store - "Pet Food and Pool Supply Store" was what the sign in front read.  I thought perfect..... for our friends Tim and Kim, but how does this help me to buy bread.  I was confused.   However, there are stranger things being sold together in little markets and shops all over the Caribbean so I nicely and quietly asked "You got your bread at the Pet Food and Pool Supply Store?"  She laughed and said "No.  I got it from that car over there.  They have fresh bread for sale."  OH!  I looked and there was a random car parked in front of the empty lot.  No magnetic business sign on the car door.  Nothing laid out on the hood to buy....nothing announcing Bread 4 Sale.  I sent Tom over to investigate.  He quickly engaged with the person in the backseat through the open window.  It looked to be a kid from across the street.  Sure enough......He came back with a lovely loaf of homemade bread that would win any county fair bread contest.  The mom was in the front seat texting on her phone and the kid was selling the bread out of the backseat to those in the know.  After school job I guess.    

No comments:

Post a Comment