Tuesday, January 9, 2018

My Favorite Market Lady


Meet Sheri.  She is my favorite market lady in Trinidad.  I have learned so much from her.  Even though she is on the busy walkway between buildings with a constant stream of customers, she always makes the time to explain what stuff is and how to make it. "Sheri, what is that green bundle?"  "Oh!  You don't know what bhaji is?  Ok.  Take this bundle.  Chop it up - all of it.  Fry it up in some oil (I prefer saute) with garlic and salt.  So good.  Here, take this bundle.  You got it?  You know what to do?"  "Okay Sheri.  How much?"  "No, no, no.  You take and try and then you come back and tell me."  She did this repeatedly with so many things.  I would come back and report.  Then I would buy more of whatever and it became part of the galley offering on sv Honey Ryder.  Bhaji, calaloo, pumpkin soup, same beans, etc.....She was always tossing in extra as we chatted.  Last year she was shocked when I knew about Diwali.  "You know about Diwali?"  Then she reached below and pulled out a bag of traditional Diwali sweets and gave it to me. The next time I saw her, I bought her no-bake cookies.  She looked suspicious but graciously took the bag of melted no-bake cookies.  *BTW - no bake are great because you don't need an oven.  However, in the tropics, they melt a bit after cooking.

I have introduced her to numerous cruisers who have in turned learned from her and hopefully will keep buying from her.

I didn't get to spend as much time with her as I would like.  Maybe someday we can hang out and lime.  In the mean time, if you are ever in Trinidad at the local POS fresh market, go see Sheri. 

No comments:

Post a Comment