Monday, March 26, 2018

Moringa



January  2018

I first heard of Moringa in Trinidad from our local dock neighbors Wayne and Alicia.  They said it was really good for you and cured all sorts of ills.  Alicia was not really a believer until she had a terrible cough that she couldn’t get rid of.   Local Graham gave her some Moringa leaves to chew and her cough went away.   Fellow cruiser Susie (sv Spirited Lady) has tea each morning with Moringa and Tumeric.  

Right before leaving Trini, we had a little dock lime and once again we started talking about Moringa.  Graham was there and swears by it.  He has a tree and dries his own.  He brought a big bag for Alicia and she shared some with me. It looks like dried oregano.  It smells like a simple, dried herb.  Nothing too strong.  “What do I do with it?” I asked. Make a bush tea – steep in hot water.  Or sprinkle on top of food.  Or put in food to cook.”  “I just eat it as is” and with that, Graham took a big palm full of the dried leaves and popped them in his mouth.  That didn’t really appeal to me but the rest was intriguing.  

We are not health food nuts but I have taken an interest in bush herbs and medicine since being down here in the Caribbean.  I have been using the Moringa since leaving Trini.  A spoonful on top my yogurt, granola, nutmeg breakfast.  A spoonful in the pasta sauce.  A spoonful over the top of the rice.  A spoonful in the callaloo.  But I wanted to see what the actual tree looked like.  

Yesterday with Shademan (Patrick) we were in luck.  “Moringa.  That is what this tree is.” he said as he and I looked out the back window of the rum bar we were in.  The hillside fell away but there was a tall tree with branches close to the window.  The leaves are smallish and tender.  Tom came over and Shademan asked him to reach out and pull a big branch in.  He then grabbed several branches for himself to take him.  “It’s good for you.  Fix all sorts of ails.”  I grabbed a few tiny branches for us.  Tom did as well.  I tasted the tender leaves, mild and green flavored.   Soon the other cruisers were interested and asking.  I think half of us took some home to try. 

Here is the Wikipedia info Moringa
   

No comments:

Post a Comment