Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pressure Cooker Greens with Smoked Turkey Legs

Lately we have grown fond of greens.  Not a lot of people around us here on the high plains admit to liking greens.  It just doesn't get brought up and it's not on the menu much.  I guess it's the time we have spend in Georgia and South Carolina these past two years that got us hooked on greens.  First it was shrimp and grits.  We couldn't get enough.  Then it was just grits.  Now it's greens.  However it's taken a few test runs for me to get a recipe that we like.  Is it "true" greens?  I have no idea.  I don't think I am brave enough yet to test them on a real southerner.  But we like them. 
According to Food Lover's Companion - greens are: "edible leaves of certain plants such as the beet, collard, dandelion and turnip."  I would also include mustard, which are more delicate and kale which is very sturdy. 
This dish evolved in the days of slavery from food that was considered food rubbish....(the tops of beets or turnips) and tossed out for the plantation slaves to eat somehow.  Like so many other dish of those horrible days of slavery such as ribs, brisket and such, the rubbish magically became fabulous food we all love now.  It turns out greens are really good for you, rich in vitamins A and C, calcium, iron, thiamine, riboflavin and such. 
The liquid they are boiled/simmered in becomes rich and flavorful.  "Pot-Likker" as it is called is said to cure many ailments.  If you have a group coming for dinner you should always make a "mess of greens."  I have no idea how much is a mess but it's got to be a massive amount as they cook WAY down.  I generally use two bunches when I cook greens for the two of us so my mess is 2 bunches at this point.
Most recipes call for hammocks but I have been using smoked turkey wings and legs.  These babies are awesome as I can buy them at my local grocery store already smoked up and ready to go.  Yes, I am talking about the big ole smoked turkey legs just like you find at your local Renaissance Festival.

Recipe Origin - Me
1 package smoked turkey wings and legs
2 bunches of greens - I have used mustard, turnip and collard.  Kale is just too....tough for my liking but do what you want.
1 box chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 good dashes of favorite hot sauce
Unwrap the smoked turkey and put the pieces into the pressure cooker.  Add the chicken stock and start heating on high.  Fill the sink 1/2 full with cold water and wash and rinse the greens really good.  This might take 2 times as they are generally grown in sand.  Trim out the tough stems and chop up the leaves.  *Some people just tear the tough stalks out.  I haven't learned that technique yet so trimming and chopping work fine for me.  Once the greens are all chopped, take the smoked turkey wings/legs out of the pressure cooker and add all the greens, salt, pepper and hot sauce.  Add the smoked turkey back in on top the greens.  Add water until it's all covered but don't overfill the pressure cooker.  Put the lid on and bring it up to pressure.  I did mine on the low pressure because my pressure cooker is acting up and only low pressure works.  Once it's up to pressure, cook 20-25 mins.  Release pressure through normal method.  Greens should be tender, smoked turkey should be about to fall off bone and Pot-Likker very flavorful with a touch of spice.  I serve ours in bowls so there is plenty of room for the Pot-Likker.  Cornbread is an awesome addition. 

Results, Findings, Thoughts, Yum Factor
Again, I don't know if this is a the official way to cook greens.  It's just what I have come up with.  Tonight we each had a bowl with a smoked turkey wing and a small sweet potato as our side.  I had a second, small scoop of greens and Pot-Likker.  Tom did the same topping his with a smoked turkey wing.  We have enough leftover for yet another meal.

1 comment:

  1. Stumbled upon your post looking for how to cook smoked turkey in the pressure cooker. Nice post and everybody has their own method of cooking greens. Looks like you've found yours! Thanks for recognizing how African American culture cultivated this diah from nothing and made it truly something! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete